Sunday, March 9, 2014

SOL 9/31: Snow Day

Every year we used to have multiple Snow Days,
Of recent days
They seem too rare.
It’s Colorado we deserve more,
I think the number should be four.
Four every year that is it.

This year we have had a draught.
And that has made me pout.
None so far,
Why,
Why.

Well today was my lucky day.
I could feel it coming.
It would be today.
It had to be.
I sprang from my bed full of hope and desire.
Please let it be,
It had to be.
I leap down the stairs and flip on the news.

“All Denver Public Schools Have Been Closed”.
Could it be,
Could it be true.
I had to look it up just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming,
Imagining.

Yes it is!
It is true.
It is far over due
but at last it has come.
There is only one thing that I mill over in my head.

“What to do First?”

There are snowmen,
And snow forts,
Steaming cocoa,
Computer Games,
TV,
And of course the thing that I think first,
Sleeping.

Go back to bed and forget I had to wake up,
Sleep.
There is no way to describe the feeling,
I guess cause there is no feeling for it.
This is what makes a snow day a snow day.
Not the adventure or fun,
The rest.

Nothing is on your mind.
You curl up in a ball wrapped in a robe or blanket,
And just fall asleep,
It doesn’t matter where,
Who is watching.
What is happening,
When.

It just matters that you,

Sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem! Getting to go back to bed on a snow day, especially if it's just a little warm still, is one of the penultimate pleasures in life. Wish we had a snow day this year.

    ReplyDelete