Sunday, March 9, 2014

SOL 10/31: Persian Rugs

Smooth, silky
My feet slide across like butter.
The very fine knots
And carefully tied strings.

Fragile but strong
Delicate but robust
Breakable but durable.
These are words that I would use to describe this piece of art.

Tightly bound but feel like they could fall apart any second.
These masterpieces can be so fine,
So durable.
They are meant to last for decades,
Centuries.

The workers sit there
And just work on one rug on one loom for as long as a life.
The ten by twenty silk rugs can take a lifetime.
They have 1,000 knots per square inch.

They pieces of art that people spend their whole life working on,
Are commonly ruined,
Uncared for,
Not paid attention too.
People don’t realize what is on there shoes
And how they might be ruining a piece of art.

It would be like walking all other the Mona Lisa with muddy shoes.
Would that be looked upon kindly?
NO.
These Persian & Tribal rugs are the same.
They should be treated like paintings.
I am not saying we should hang them up.
But at least show respect.

So next time you walk through your house,
Think twice about walking with muddy shoes on.

Art is Art and there is no changing that.

5 comments:

  1. That was a really good slice. Although that pen you just threw at me hurt, J.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you though of them as art pieces, good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same with Jason, it made me realize how much work goes into them. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I have two persian rugs in my home and I will never look at them the same again. You are so correct--they are works of art.
    I love this part of your slice:
    Fragile but strong
    Delicate but robust
    Breakable but durable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, JP! What an original SOL. It makes me sad how little we tend to pay attention to beauty that isn't presented to us as "beauty" in a museum. Thank you for opening my eyes once again to the world around me. I love this part: "They pieces of art that people spend their whole life working on,
    Are commonly ruined,
    Uncared for,
    Not paid attention too."

    ReplyDelete