Thursday, March 27, 2014

SOL 30/31: Backpacking Part 2

I wake up laying, staring at the ceiling of my tent. The world is still dark around us besides my dad's phone alarm that woke us up. We get up and dress silently. I take down the tent while he makes breakfast. We eat a quick meal in total silence as if not wanting to disturb the peaceful world around us. Then with our daypacks filled with some water, snacks, minor first aid kit, and a leatherman and my knife strapped to my hip we set off. By the time its sunrise we are past timberline. We stop and have a quick snack and water break sitting on the top of a hill looking back over the valley. Its painting worthy. I sit there taking in the warmth of the sun and the feeling of being out in the wilderness. We keep hiking and after a grueling three to four hours of hiking and two false summits I reach the summit. A feeling of accomplishment and happiness overcomes me. By the time I scout the top and look out at all the beautiful views its around midday. My dad and I sit at the top chatting and having some nice sandwiches. I get a picture of me at the top with the valley behind me. After absorbing every last bit we start our long way down but I still and beaming with happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great experience, how tall was the mountain you climbed?

    ReplyDelete