Thursday, March 27, 2014

SOL 29/31: Backpacking Part 1

I am hiking up the trail my dad right behind me. We are going backpacking to Mt. Harvard near Buena Vista, CO. On my back is about and forty to sixty pound backpack that is making me break a sweat. On my hip is my trusty four inch Bear Grylls knife that I just sharpened. We are hiking on a relatively steep trail. I have a map in my pocket and am following a trail. Our plan is to make it quite a bit up the trail and then camp tonight and then hike the Mountain tomorrow with our daypacks and hike back down to the car tomorrow by evening. My thoughts wander as we hike. I think about school, sports, girls… everything you can imagine. I occasionally glance at the map to see where we are at. We make it to the site and I set down my bag for the first time. The cool air chills my back but it feels wonderful. The night starts to fade. I set up the tent while my dad makes dinner. I lean back and stare at the stars with a bowl of hot broth in my hands. Sometime after that I remember going into my tent and falling asleep in the my sleeping bag.

1 comment:

  1. I like the part where you said "My thoughts wander as we hike. I think about school, sports, girls…" Sounds like fun. I like to hike, but I have never been backpacking. I will have to try it. Are they similar?

    ReplyDelete