Wednesday, March 26, 2014

SOL 26/31: Sorbet

It's a hot summer afternoon cloudless and absolutely beautiful. I stand outside standing over our basil plant. I pick off about thirty of the best biggest leaves and take them back inside. I have done this so many times I know it by heart. Juice four lemons. Put sugar, water, lemon juice, and the now freshly chopped and washed basil in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer, let it sit for ten minutes, then simmer again and then using a strainer discard the basil leaves because all the flavor has been extracted. I go through this meanwhile the kitchen starts to smell like fresh basil and lemons. I suck in the sweet air having just finished the straining. I then pull the ice cream mixer out and start to churn the ice cream. Thirty minutes later I check it and its solidifying. I stick my finger in there to taste it. My mouth pops with the sweet basil and tart lemon. I lick my lips. I then scoop it out and put it in the freezer and let it sit. We sit outside on our patio enjoying the late sunshine. I haven't told anyone I made sorbet  because everyone was out from home and I thought I would surprise them. My mom says:

"JP could you take in the plates and bring out the chocolate (our normal dessert)"

"Sure." I answer.

I am so excited to surprise them. I jump to my feet grab the plates and hurry inside dishing out the sorbet quickly I grab some spoons and bring it out.

My mom starts to ask "Where's the cho…" but I set down the sorbet. She has a surprised and pleasant smile.

"When did you make this?"

"This afternoon." I reply simply.

We then sit down all with smiles and enjoy the sorbet in the fading sun.

"Nice job on the sorbet." my family echoes.

I just nod and smile enjoying my last spoon of delicious Lemon Basil sorbet.

No comments:

Post a Comment