Friday, March 14, 2014

SOL 15/31: Basketball in Backyard

I stand up and stretch. I'm nine years old. I start dribbling the ball. The ball bouncing softly up and down each time hitting my hand then making a soft plunk. The court is damp more a previous rain but the sun beats down on on my pale face. I put the ball through my legs and pop for a shot. I hear the familiar swish as the ball goes through the hoop cleanly. i run and grab the ball and repeat. I'm in a small enclosed area that is fifteen by thirty feet big with only one side opening it a grass part. I have a falling apart rusty weathered soccer goal on one side of this area with a hit away on the other side. I shoot the ball again. I am in a fully developed world. I imagine I am on a wood court with bleachers all around. I pass the ball to my teammate and slash through the lane. He hits me on the run and I score on an easy lay up. Next drive I fake left pass right stutter step then pull back out catch the ball and shoot a jumper. It bounces out of the rim but I run grab it and do a short fade way jumper that falls in. Over and over I score. Pass left, pass right, stutter, slash, drive, pull up. Everything just goes my way. My shoes are squeaky on the wood floor, sweats running down my face, lights pouring down on me, the ball bouncing rhythmically, the fans cheering. Then I look around. I stand there sweat pouring down my face looking at the sun, ball in hand in my little fifteen by thirty foot area. I start dribbling again in my own little stadium where my cement is wood, the walls are stands, the birds are fans, and the sun is my lights.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great description of how the imagination takes us where we want to be while playing. I've hit a lot of World Series home runs in my day too. The last line is magic!

    ReplyDelete