Monday, March 3, 2014

SOL 5/31: Water Polo Fighting

Kicking.
I wince as a foot strikes my throat.

Punching.
The breath is knocked from me as a fist collides with my stomach.

Grabbing.
A hand grabs my suit and is holding me so I can't move.

Thrashing.
I gasp for air trying to get free.

Sinking.
Two hands come down on my shoulders pushing me further under.

Clawing.
Nails slide down my skin tearing it apart.

Kicking, punching, grabbing, thrashing, sinking, clawing. Finally breaking free I see my surroundings. The ball is being passed around just like nothing is happening, because what is happening is called normal. I dive back into the mix with this kid. It's like wrestling and boxing in thirteen feet deep water all the while trying to concentrate on the game. From a spectator's view it would be hard to tell who's hand, leg, head is who's.

I dive back in with this kid determined not to let him win even if he is twice my size and twice my strength. I kick, grab, punch fight my very hardest. He gets me in a head lock. I am losing air fast. I bring my knee up slamming it to his chest I break free and pop out on the surface. I hear three whistles and look to see the referee has kicked us both out. I stare out him thinking he's crazy. Why would he kick me out? I give my coach a surprised look who tells me to shut up and get in the box. Begrudgingly I do it still a look of disbelief plastered on my face. I ask her what I did wrong and in answer she points at the kid I was fighting. He was out of the pool hugging his chest where I slammed my knee into it. In a retort I show her the claw marks on my body.

"Part of the game".

That's all I get in response while I wait the last five seconds of my penalty before I can go back.

3 comments:

  1. First, ow. Second, I really love how you've put this together, opening with pure action before going into the narrative. It heightens the rawness of your story. I love this line: "The ball is being passed around just like nothing is happening, because what is happening is called normal." The structure of it is very interesting and works well for what you are saying in it.

    ReplyDelete