Thursday, September 12, 2013

To His Last Man: Book Week 3

To His Last Man by Jeff Sharra is the book I read this week. This is a historically based war novel, it is 642 pages and is a reasonably easy read even though at points is gets a little boring. This book is about WWI. It starts with switching off chapters between talking about a american ace and a german ace. Then the focus of the book shifts after a bit and goes to the rest of the American military coming into the war. It's main focus is then on General Pershing (the head general of the american amy), but it also shifts to men in the military and there different perspectives. This book was not my favorite of Jeff Sharra's. It got very dry at some points and boring. There are some great battles and descriptions still but it was a little too boring for me. I prefer a lot of action in books, so if anyone has and books they think I might like definitely leave it in the comments and I will check it out. I would suggest this book for anyone who just wants a lot of history but go into reading it knowing there is not as might action as one might expect from a war novel. The book I am reading next week is Forgive Me Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Jp, I'm definitely going to add this to my TBR list, I really like war novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max,
      I posted this in my comment to JP, but you might like Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (see description below).

      -K

      Delete
  2. I like how you described the book and I will keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a very honest description, and the book sounded okay, I'll try to read it, if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JP. I will put this on my TBR list, and if you are looking for a fun action-packed book you should read Daniel X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JP,
    I have a book suggestion for you. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. This is a non-fiction book about the Pacific Front during WWII. It focuses on the story of Louis Zamperini, a world champion runner. Zamperini's plane was shot down over the Pacific Ocean and the book chronicles his extraordinary journey on the open water and subsequent capture by the Japanese. As a warning, there are some graphic parts, violence mainly, that can be disturbing. But it really is an amazing book.


    -K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jp this book sounds pretty good and i like that you were honest about how you thought of the book. i might read it although you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I generally don't read historical fiction, but maybe i will check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never liked history but it sounds quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the book sounds like a good read make sure you recommend it to Maxwell he would love this book, one thing the neon pink text is just a little hard to read.

    ReplyDelete