Saturday, May 17, 2014

Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff

This week I read the book Black Ships before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff which is basically a retelling of the Iliad. The Iliad is the story of where trojan prince Paris goes and steals one of Greece's kings, king Menelaus, wife Helen and takes her for his own. Menelaus than calls upon all of Greece's mightiest kings and they sail to troy to take back Helen and burn the city. The war than rages on and many men from both sides are lost. Gods interfere from time to time to speed up the war. The war takes nine years to finish but eventually it comes to the an end. Odysseus comes up with a clever way to end the war. This book was a reasonably okay book. I had heard many retellings and this was an average one. Its an extremely easy read. I suggest it for anyone who likes mythology and action. Overall its a fine book but not great.    

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it is for me but it sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting maybe for some people, but probably not me. How long is it?

    ReplyDelete