Monday, December 16, 2013

Slice of Life #1: My 1st Fish Caught

           The shiny spinner dangles from the end of the fishing line. The spinner is orange on one side and silver on the other. It has three hooks curling back from the actually spinner.  "Kodiak Custom" is engraved on to the silver side. My tiny green and purple Scooby-Doo fishing pole rests in my tiny pudgy hands. I look behind me and our old tattered barn that is covered in green and white peeling paint stands upright for now.

          I  turn back to the little lake in front of me. I try to cast it the first time but when I bring it back and I feel it jolt when I try to yank it forward. I turn around to see it snagged in the bushes behind me. I pull it out of the bushes and try again this time more aware of the bushes behind me.

         It flies through the air and lands in the water with a plop. I start to reel it in already discouraged. It comes in empty. I cast it out again hoping for better luck. I start to pull it in again when I feel a little tug. I start to reel it in really hard. I now am for certain I caught one. I then start yelling "DAD! DAD! I caught a fish!". My dad comes over and helps my reel it in and get it out of the water. It was about a foot long Pike. It squirmed around. I was so excited and proud when the picture was taken. At four years old I had caught my very first fish.

1 comment:

  1. I like how this poem makes a normal situation feel so special.

    ReplyDelete